To coincide with National News Engagement Day, my group members and myself compiled a Spotify playlist to match some recent headlines in the St. Louis metro area.
- The Pevely Police Department is changing-up their wardrobe for the month of October to support breast cancer awareness. Officers will be sporting pink police badges with the pink ribbon in the middle surrounded by ‘care to wear pink.’ A portion of the cost will go to breast cancer research to help men and women fight breast cancer.
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital, for the 15th year in a row, is offering free flu shots. The CDC estimates 80,000 people died from the flu and its complications last season. They recommend getting vaccinated by the end of October for the upcoming flu season. There are multiple locations where the vaccinations will be offered.
- Local St. Louis couple, Joni Spear and Dan Stanton are picking up their bags and moving to Smithfield, Va. HGTV gave them a little help on their hunt for a new home by featuring the couple on House Hunters. The couple spent five, 12 hour filming days to complete the episode and find the house. Their show premieres tonight at 9 p.m., so tune in to HGTV to watch them start their new adventure!
- For a third straight season the St. Louis Cardinals will not be playing postseason baseball. After a losing streak to end the season, the Cardinals relinquished their Wild Card spot to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Now Cardinals fans hope for an offseason filled with moves that will bring the Cardinals back to the top of NL Central.
- JoAnn Reed, the mayor of Alorton, Illinois, was driving a police car with the lights flashing on September 15th. Reed was charged with and pled guilty to official misconduct on Friday the 28th. No comments have been made by Reed or her attorney regarding the incident after posting her $75,000 bail.
- A car fleeing from St. Ann police flipped a car in the intersection of St. Louis Avenue and North Florissant Avenue, Monday morning. Witnesses claimed the light turned green, they drove forward and the suspect’s vehicle collided with traffic. The crash injured several people including the driver. Three people are currently in the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Both suspects were arrested.
- After losing his wife of 20 years a few years ago to illness, Rodney attends every funeral in the area, whether he knows the person or not. Everyone in Jerseyville, Illinois knows Rodney due to his constant friendliness throughout the town. A few of his friends decided to raise money to buy Rodney a new suit for the funerals that he attends, hoping to raise $600. After making a GoFundMe page, they raised $3,200 for Rodney proving that a little kindness goes a long way.
- Mom of high school junior soccer player from Ladue, files a lawsuit because she claims her son was cut from the team due to age discrimination. They were told that junior boys who didn’t make the varsity soccer team would be cut from the JV team. Dave Aronberg, head coach, had 40 boys try out for the varsity team with only 24 spots. When the mother and step-father complained to the school, they defended the coach’s tough decision when picking his team.