When you are just starting out on Twitter, it can be hard to gain a following.
Sports, unsurprisingly, is a popular topic on Twitter and as a sports writer you will need to connect with your target audience.
These are five tips to make sure that you 1) get followers and 2) produce quality tweets.
- Use team hashtags: Every single sports team in the big four (MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL) has a hashtag. Whenever you make a tweet about a team, find out what their hashtag is so that way you can start a conversation with that fanbase and you could gain a follower or two.
- Live tweet games, but include your own takes too: While it is okay to tweet things along the lines of “what a play by Yadier Molina *GIF*” you should tweet your own analysis. That is what will attract followers as people want to read thoughts on how others think their team or certain players are performing.
- Start conversations: Do not just be a robot sending out tweets and not interacting with people. And if nobody interacts with you, start up the conversation. Twilert has more on this tip.
- There is nothing wrong with self-promotion: Tweet out an article you just published, or maybe even promote the site you write for. It is a simple way to get your name out there.
- Humor: People love a good joke, especially when their team is struggling and things are looking bleak. And if you make a joke about a rival, that can start up some interesting conversations.